How do I identify or discover a gatherer? Since using a GSE process is dependent upon discovering a gatherer, it is a key question. I suggest this process:
1. Know very well what the Bible says about gatherers.
Know well the biblical examples of gathering and the 14 Greek words that express ‘gather to mission’ across the NT – 119 occurrences (All listed in my book: Gathering to Mission: Gathering as Essential to our Culture). Knowing this of course gives us the biblical definition and platform from which to work.
Gatherers are not evangelists, so please do not think evangelist when I say ‘gatherer.’
2. Talk to people.
Think through people you know who are just very friendly with other people, who love to talk to other people. Make a list of those you feel are great gatherers.
3. Either sign up for our live, on line GSE training or come to a GSE training in person.
We go over gatherer identification in detail. You can do this at www.visionusa.org and go to the ‘get training’ tab.
4. Use the free, on line gatherer assessment living at www.gsecoach.org.
This on line assessment is a behavioral, self-assessment. Take it yourself, then any people you run across you think might be a gatherer, ask them to take this free assessment. It should take about fifteen minutes.
5. Check out www.visionusa.org as well as www.gsenetwork.org.
All can add some more understanding to this process.
Questions to consider:
- Which of these steps listed above should I engage first?
- With whom do I share these ideas?